FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do people enjoy about Bangkok?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:19 pm
yosithezet
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Ok, so Iīve been to Bangkok twice, and must say I really donīt like the place.

- I have visited most of the major attractions (various tempels, Royal palace, private rider boat trip) and was pretty underwhelmed
I really enjoyed these things the first time. After a few years I went back with others and it was nice. I find the temples and whatnot to be nicer and more impressive than the ones in Bali, for instance. But private rider boat trip? Never did that. I took the local boat to the area of the temples and really enjoyed it.

- people trying to scam you: maybe entertaining the fist time, but gets old pretty fast
I rarely get people trying to scam me or sell me suits or whatnot. I'm a frequent visitor. I know a FTer that has lived there for several years and always gets accosted by the tailors and whatnot. I suspect it has to do with how one carries themselves, dresses, expression on their face. When the women try to engage me for a "survey" which leads into a condo pitch, I smile, shake my head and continue at the same speed. When a guy offers me his tuk tuk with or without a glossy brochure of beauties, I shake my head and give a "mai ao krub" and keep walking. It doesn't get old for me because I pretty much don't even notice it. The few times I have been approached by the "it's closed today" folks, I smile and keep walking. I don't engage them and so again, it doesn't really phase me.

Over the course of 6 years or so I've had a handful of taxi drivers try to overcharge me. I'm not talking about when you ask them to go somewhere and they ask up front for more than you know it is worth. I'm talking about getting into the taxi and then they decide after pulling away that they want a higher fee or don't want to go. At the airport it hasn't happened to me in years. I tell them in my poor excuse for Thai where I want to go and they realize that they won't be able to suggest I pay 500 THB. I'm courteous but I don't engage them in much conversation. So the opportunity doesn't exist for them to try other things like take me to a special massage or gem shop before we get to where I want to go.

- taxi drivers range from kamikaze to useless. Most taxi driver are unable to find a hotel a few km away even when giving them a map and everything printed in Thai
As dsquared37 said, the map just confuses them. They don't know how to read a map. Note that they aren't using GPS in the vehicle. The best that I can tell is that they are traveling by association. So if I want to go to the Westin and they aren't sure where exactly I will give the soi off Sukhumvit but I'll also name a nearby landmark like Robinsons. I find Singapore exactly the opposite. A Singaporean taxi driver wouldn't be able to use associative navigation to find a place even if the Malaysians were crossing the bridge to attack and his country depended on it. They are all about the GPS and exact address.

- massages: I enjoyed a few reasonably priced massages, but overall the quality has been hit and miss, even at high-end hotels
Like dsquared37 once I find a good shop and/or masseuse I will frequent that spot again. The King & I has a great Royal Thai Massage. More expensive than many places but significantly less than a hotel and significantly less than many other countries. There is also a great place on Sukhumvit Soi 8 where I found a masseuse that does a wonderful job with a hot stone massage. So I go back. Foot massages as well. I end up going back to these places again and again.

- "special massages"/gogo bars/hookers: sorry, not interested
Don't worry. The overwhelming majority of toursits who enjoy Bangkok area also not interested.

Obviously millions of tourists disagree with me, or am I missing something?

Sure. I love the movie theaters. Back row love seats with blankets. Great way to see a couple with an SO. VIP recliners relatively cheap. There was a theater in Central World with bean bag chairs and loungers. Not sure if that hall was restored after the fire.

Many folks mentioned food. Not only is there a diverse selection but at any price point. I happily eat cooked sausages on the street or grab something in a coupon-based food court. Soul Food Mahanakorn is one of my favorite restaurants around but it sadly has become too popular with the tourists and gets way too loud with groups. I used to love BKK Bagels but they also have gotten a bit too popular, at least on weekend. I can't find a good bagel in Singapore so I get my fix in Bangkok. Now if you travel to NJ a few times a year that may not be as appealing. On any given evening I can choose to have good cuisine from Thailand or the rest of the world at a price point and with an ambiance that is suitable for me at that time.

Lots of good music venues. Live relaxing Jazz at the Living Room at the SGS. Louder Blues in a more casual environment at Saxophone Pub which has been going for over 25 years. If I want Thai country music I can head to a nightclub called Duan Pen (spelling likely way off) where I may be the only foreigner in the place. On nights when I want to get out and boogie I can head to Route 66 in RCA for hip hop/pop, Bed/QBar/aLoft in lower Sukhumvit or hit the after hours discos if I want to inhale more smoke than I've come across in years.

Lots of nice variety in shopping, whether international name brands or local Thai independents in JJ Market or Terminal 21.

For me, and I think for many others who return to BKK again and again, we cease to be tourists and start to become travelers. While we are there we just live in the city rather than visit it to see the sites. When you were in Israel were you mostly going to tourist sites or were you grabbing a falafel at the little Yeminite hole in the wall place at the top of Rav Kook in Jersualem? I'm totally at a loss for what you find interesting about Singapore and I've lived here for a year and a half. The tourist sites of Bangkok will be nice once but getting a feel for the ebb and flow of the city and becoming a part of that is where BKK becomes more appealing.