FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TR - Mostly Star Alliance SYD-CPH the long way
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:11 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Sk565 cph - cdg a321-232 oy-kbh

I love CPH airport. It's fairly small, easy to transit through, pretty with its dark timber floors, just enough shops and pretty blonde girls everywhere. Sorry, I didn't mean that. And a scandinavian feel to the place. That's better.

The was a single guy at security who must have been pretty bored. He dutifully stamped our passports with hardly looking at us.

We went to the SK Business Class lounge and swapped our boarding pass for a key to the showers. As discussed in another Flyertalk forum they were readily available, spacious, clean and well equipped with towels, razer, toothbrush (but no comb). After the shower I started to feel human again after close to 24 hours flying.

The lounge then started to fill up quickly. WiFi worked well, but was slow. I couldn't get email from my iPhone. Could it just be for browsing?

Went to gate B3. The A321 looks pretty full. Boarding started 5 mins late from a cramped and stuffy gate lounge with people standing shoulder to shoulder. Boarding complete 0810 and departure due 0820.

Business Class was 6 seats with 5 passengers. A passenger from Economy decided to try and bluff his way in to business class. Because the flight was crowded the FA's permitted him to stay there but gave him short shrift otherwise.

During the announcement the front toilet was described as "mainly" for the use of business class and Economy Extra passengers. Which really means it's open slather.

Magazines offered to business class passengers (but not the interloper). The nose wheel camera provided a good view forward during takeoff, then it switched to a downward view.

Hot breakfast for business class, cold for economy extra and everybody else can buy sandwiches. Tea and coffee free for all. The cooked breakfast was excellent. As good a meal as I've had on a plane. Mushroom omelette with a peppery taste, mushroom, bacon, bread roll, fruit, yoghurt, juice, tea, coffee, cheese, ham and half a boiled egg. Phew. What a meal. It would keep us going until dinner in Paris.

With all the SK long haul cutbacks, I was surprised to find that this meal came with a red peg securing the napkin. I would have gladly traded the red peg for just a little more leg room.

Beautiful views as we tracked over Amsterdam, Brussels then in to Paris. Attentive service and all cleared away with 1 hour 5 mins remaining. The closer we got to Paris, the worse the weather got. Grey skies set it and the highlight from this stage was Looney Tunes on the TV. Road Runner, Coyote etc.

Landed 1005, Gate 1013 (Terminal 1), Bags 1054. I'm not sure where terminal 1 gets its baggage handlers from. Maybe the architect is being punished, for building such a concrete monstrosity with an amazing web of escalators inside, by handling baggage for the rest of his natural born days. Or maybe it was just the marathon trek from aircraft to carousel that caused a rather long wait.

As a reward dear reader for staying with me so far, I'm going to offer a few tips about Paris:

1) Get out of it. There are plenty of wonderful day trips. The Champagne region is heaven on a stick - and the local produce isn't bad either.

2) You must (absolutely must) have lunch at La Tour d'Argent restaurant. At night it is obscenely expensive, but at lunch 68 Euro will buy you a menu dejeneur that will leave you astounded. The wines, service and the view are equally impressive. I believe you must book months in advance (I did) and I would absolutely recommend it.

3) After lunch at La Tour d'Argent, walk across the bridge to Ile Saint-Louis where you can still buy non-tacky souviners and the original Berthillon ice cream shop. You wont be able to fit any in after that lunch, but it's good to know it's here.

We then caught the train to Bordeaux for a week or fantastic food and amazing wines. If anyone asks I can write a bit about that part of the trip.

Last edited by sydunipete; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:12 pm