FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TR - Mostly Star Alliance SYD-CPH the long way
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:44 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
SK972 BKK - CPH A340-313 OY-KBA Business Class

Well if anybody can work out the Thai Airlines network of lounges in the new airport, please let me know. For this transfer the SK flight was departing from D3 so we went to the D concourse lounge.

The lounge was 100% full, in the same sense that a tin of smoked sardines is full. We had to hover over a leaving couple so we could get two seats close to each other. There was some limited hot food and drinks. The WiFi was badly overburdoned and wasn't useful so it was almost a relief when boarding started 35 mins prior to departure. Priority boarding was available, but it wasn't required. I counted only about 70 people in the gate area when boarding commenced. It must have been a light load and boarding was completed 17 mins prior to departure.

Unlike the TG flight where everything was already in your seat, only a pillow was prepositioned on the SK seats. Inflight magazines and water were tucked away in the seat back in front. FA took my coat from the seat hook and stored it for the flight.

Seating a little more spacious (and I was later to find more comfortable) than the Thai flight. The screen was slightly smaller and the movie selection much less generous. Business class 100% full.

No drinks at all offered pre-departure. There had been some discussion in these forums about SK eliminating pre-departure champagne from business class flights starting 1 October 2012. These guys definitely got the memo and took it to the nth degree.

Push back at 00:25 (5 mins early) and take off at 00:45. It seemed liked a very long, slow roll and a painstakingly slow climb. The A340 seemed to fight for every metre of altitude.

Slippers, an amenity kit and headsets handed out and passengers were asked if they wanted to be woken for breakfast. On this flight the amenity kit bag was some cheap blue felt looking thing. Absolutely impractical for any use after the flight.

Headphones were not wrap around, nor were they noise cancelling. For a late night departure it was a slow start to the service. The hot towels were threadbare. The wine list was the highlight though. Chosen by Oz Clarke there was a champagne (2006 Henriot) and a fabulous Sauternes but otherwise wines were from Italy and South America. But all very good. Despite the hour I did manage to sample each of them. Just for the academic experience and so I could write about it for you dear readers you understand.

The Syrah was excellent, but the choice of movies, like the hot towel, was thread bare. I was reduced to watching Rock of Ages.

Entree was served still wrapped in plastic, but it was delicious.

In line with those SK cutbacks, pepper and salt were in paper sachets rather than china dispensers. And of course there was no red peg.

The veal main course was dry and tough, but the bread roll was great and the personality of the FA's came through far more than on the TG flight. Mains were chosen from a trolley stacked with each available dish. This may be practical but is less restaurant like than choosing from a menu.

After the slow start to the meal service, the wine service picked up substantially, far more generous than Thai. No matter what this seat feels like I'm going to sleep on this flight!

Haagen Daas ice cream to cap it off. The FAs worked hard through out the service and despite the slow start the meal service was finished 2 hours after take off.

Seat much more comfortable for me than the Thai seat. Snacks an drinks available through the night. The toilet isn't as big as I remember a few years back. Have these been refitted?

Breakfast started 1 hr 45 mins from landing. Cold Orange Juice then a hot towel (but again paper thin). Then a substantial cold breakfast (fruit, cold meat, bread, yoghurt and cheese) then a hot breakfast for those still with room for more and the gluttens amongst us. I was in the latter category, and it was good. All was done an hour prior to landing.

FA's coordinated service along each aisle perfectly and changed uniforms several times. I think each had 4 uniforms during the course of the flight.

Sunrise just started to catch up with us prior to descent into CPH. Landed at 0618 - but it was still pitch black at ground level. Gate C120 at 0625. 15 mins ahead of schedule.

Economy held back until business had disembarked (unlike the Thai flight).

Last edited by sydunipete; Jan 13, 2014 at 2:10 pm