FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eating my way through IST and getting there on TK Economy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:12 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Oops. Thanks for calling that to my attention. I was typing late last night and got the Galata bridge mixed with the Bosphorus one somehow.

Istiklal St.

From Galata Tower I walked to Istiklal St. passing through some interesting neighborhood buildings. Istiklal St. is one of the most famous (if not the most famous) streets of Istanbul. Its 3 km. length is lined up with elegant shops, historical buildings, bookstores, art galleries, chocolate and pastry shops, cafes, restaurants and night clubs. At the end of the street, near Taksim Square, one can find a group of burger joints specializing in "wet burgers", one of Istanbul's top street eats experiences. It's not hard to resist these unique steamed burgers doused with an oily, tomato based sauce and incubated in a glass lined box, especially at around 2 TRY a piece. I tried mine at Kizilkayalar at the suggestion of my friend Muharrem and it did not disappoint. By the time I finished one I was ready for another. These can become addictive.

Fruit stand by Galata Tower

On my way to Istiklal St.

Tram

Neighborhood store

Produce store

Istiklal St.

MADO

Founded in 1850 this popular ice cream shop became a chain in 1991 and is found throughout Istanbul. Dondurma is Turkish for ice cream and here it is made with milk, sugar, salep (flour from the orchid root) and mastic (resin). Because of the inclusion of these last two ingredients, Turkish ice cream has a unique texture and high resistance to melting.

Koska

Founded in 1907 with chains throughout the city, this is one of the most popular sweet shops in Istanbul. Turkish delight or lokum is a gel confection made with starch and sugar. They come in a variety of flavors and premium varieties contain chopped dates, pistachios, walnuts or hazelnuts.

Wet burger stands

..to be continued with lunch @ Canim Cigerim.

Last edited by aw; Dec 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm