FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Great use for Avios (yes they are rather useful!)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:15 pm
BillyBB

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I made two great use of Avios redemptions today - 4 bookings in total.

Great use 1.

We all know that using Avios for WT is a fairly poor use of Avios.

However, when you are fairly Avios-rich and you are earning them at an alarming rate, and your spouse needs a fully cancellable booking (not unlikely to change dates but may need to be cancelled), and there is no Avios availability in CW or F, and your spouse does not consider that a full fare CW or F is an option, it's a great use.

WT+ may seem better but since the remaining exit row seat is in WT on this particular flight, WT would be better on this occasion, if you have a tall spouse.

Thanks to Avios, I have managed to make 3 fully flexible bookings for him (3 x one-ways).

Great use 2.

I was needing to go somewhere at a short notice and was a bit horrified to see that ET was around £400 one-way. Of course, CE was even worse although my brain had gone into protective shutdown from the shock of seeing such an ET fare by then* so I cannot remember the CE fare.

However on the off chance I decided to look at redemption availability. I was rather surprised that it was available!

Some Avios and cash later, I have a reward seat in CE, and better still, it's flexible

*it's a joke - I have seen much worse, but it was far more than I would have liked to pay for ET.
I agree - I've used some avios on zipping between the UK & Europe over the Christmas holidays and was surprised both by the availability, and the cost savings. For 2 people and 8 flights, it was something like 3k over paying for the flights direct. Although, I am a little avios heavy so it didn't jeopardise alternative uses of them