FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4*-5* hotel in CPT / preferably on the beach)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:39 am
ThudAndBlunder

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

I can see how one might call it a bit of dump. But I don't think about it as egregiously so. And there really are some good eating options starting with Pure at the Hout Bay Manor if you want to escape to a more rarefied atmosphere and enjoy fine dining. Or Kitima, serving excellent Asian (mainly Thai) food in a gorgeous old Cape Dutch building. Or nip over to Tintswalo on Chappies and enjoy a meal at the most secret luxury spot in Cape Town. (It would be the ideal spot to stay - but it is as expensive as it is magical, nestled in milkwoods on the sea overlooking Hout Bay and the Sentinel.)

The main road that leads from the harbour to the LLundudno (not the one that joins directly to Chapman's Peak Drive) has a number of low-key, but very acceptable, eateries like pizzerias and Italian restaurants. The Harbour itself is always buzzing with activity and has eating options (though I can''t vouch for them).

Yes, the beach isn't Clifton. But it is wonderfully long and is usually populated by real people walking their dogs and playing with their children in what strikes me as a satisfyingly soothing scene of old-fashioned seaside enjoyment. And frankly Camps Bay beach or Clifton in January... you would have to pay me to put up with the hordes and the traffic jams.

Transport is an issue. It costs about ZAR300 for a taxi from CPT to my house in Green Point. That is just over 20kms and about 20 minutes' drive. Hout Bay to the V&A is a bit further but would take at least half an hour depending on what the traffic is like in Camps Bay. I'm guessing ZAR400 each way. Almost worth hiring a car! In fact that would be perfect IME.
I agree; Hout Bay's not an egregious kip...I just can't get excited about it.

On the taxi issue, if it's R300 to Green Point, I'd guess north of R400 to Hout Bay (but I'm just guessing). Taxi fares in South Africa are scandalous, especially factoring in the age and condition of the vehicles...sometimes I look at some of those jalopies and speculate how long it would take to pay one off at those fares; two weeks?