FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CONFIRMED: BA B787 & A380 layouts
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:34 pm
Wozza2404

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm not sure about this.

I was looking forward to BA's A380 as I felt it would level the playing field for a comparison to EK (who I flew almost exclusively until around 12 months ago). Doesn't look like it will be a level playing field.

EK has an exclusively premium upper deck. You board to the UD, turn left for F and right for J. The bar is shared for J and F. F cabin and showers are solely for F.

The new A380 terminal will further enhance EK's offering.

Flying DXB-LHR in J on EK you're picked up in a limo, taken to the exclusive J and F terminal, and checked in. Then you clear customs and immigration in the premium terminal. You take a lift to the lounge, and relax. For boarding, you board straight to the UD via the lounge and take your seat. The only way you'd even see a Y pax is if there was a gold using the premium terminal to check in, or you decided to leave the lounge to go shopping.

I'm not trying to belittle BA, but come on... What I've just described is just J on EK and it betters BA's F experience. The price is often better on EK.

I've given BA a fair crack of the whip. I'll hit Gold in Feb, so it's fiat to say I've experience a good amount of BA to offer an opinion. I just feel a bit... deflated.

This was their opportunity to offer a class-leading product. Unfortunately it would seem that they're happy being part of a pack.