FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - With new ANA Sea-Nrt, is there risk that UA will go away?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:33 am
mapoptic

Originally Posted by UAL4life
Very sad, and very true unfortunately.
Re UA shrinking its Seattle ops, the red-eye to Dulles is gone for January/Feb -- I believe the A/C has been redeployed to seasonal ski service. So we'll be down to 2x daily flights from SEA to IAD -- no greater frequency than AS.

Also, the nightly 757 from Dulles to Seatac has been downgauged to an A320. Started last week, I believe. I wrote UA to ask what was up with the A320, and was told the route was more profitable with an A320 than a 757. Reading between the lines, I think UA is losing the good O&D business in the market to AS, and is responding with smaller aircraft and less frequency. This may make the remaining UA routes more profitable in the short term, but I would think could have the perverse impact of pushing even more passengers to other carriers.

There is a newish Seattle UA station manager (pmUA, last posting in Florida). Anyone know her? I'd be curious as to UA's plans for Seattle, if any.

Last edited by mapoptic; Dec 10, 2012 at 8:09 am Reason: Fixed brain-dead typos.