FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 500 Free AA miles (FaceBook app, expires 12/17/12)
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:32 am
gnode

Miles for your thoughts...

First post here at flyertalk. Travel a lot for work. Platinum on AA, gold with Hilton. Just got an email for 500 points to tell AA what I think and kind of vented a bit on them. Am I wrong on this though? I mean seriously. Anyway here is what I said.

Started with some drop down questions about what airline programs I prefer. Said I prefer Delta and UA because they upgrade people more generously based on availability. I am sick of getting waiting in line to spend 500 mile upgrades lately when so often first class is full. Then on a flight from DFW to MCI, I don't bother because I don't want to burn 500 mile segment on such a short flight, only to see that there are 4 empty seats in first class. I ask if I can move up and the answer is that only the person at the gate can do that.

Also bashed the admirals club compared to the delta and united clubs. Come on! Delta club has Glenlivet 12 and stuff just sitting out and AA can just do mccormicks for free? United and Continental clubs usually have bagels, cereal, etc in their lounge for breakfast.

Then they asked about hotel program preferences and gave them this earful:

Starwood hotels. Great hotels. Good points. I especially like using their points to get discounted hotel stays. They also automatically upgrade their members if space is available, just like Delta and UA.

Unfortunately, I actually end up having to use Hilton much more (I am gold with them) because they have Hampton Inns which are often the best hotel in the small towns I often go to. Kind of like how I am forced to use you instead of Delta/UA due to living in DFW. But, Hilton's points/benefits suck (good luck actually using your 100k+ points you save up in a year on anything more than 1 night at a nice hotel on vacation). Better than nothing, but honestly, I am trapped into AA/Hilton. I would much prefer to go Delta/Starwood in a perfect world. I strongly recommend that combo to anyone starting out on business travel.

Also, it is frickin ridiculous that if I buy a plane ticket for myself and I use points for my wife that I can't use the 500 mile upgrades to get us both into 1st class. Come on people.