FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Ford Escape SEL-AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Ride Report/Review
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:32 pm
elCheapoDeluxe

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I'm driving it right now. It's ok, but I'm definitely not impressed. There was a comment above that the handling is too "busy" and I'd agree with that. I initialliy wasn't that comfortable in the seats, but after quite a bit of fiddling and adjustment I found them to be as good as 75% of cars I've rented. Definitely not a "sporty" handling vehicle - my old volvo v70 station wagon handled better. Probably my old Oldsmobile, too. My biggest complaints are some hydroplaning, a definite tendency to torque steer (and then subsequently very twitchy to overcorrect) pulling out of driveways onto the Texas "frontage freeways", below average traction, and some unsure footing over bumps (truth be told I've never been an SUV person, but I think a fair amount of that could be improved with better tires). Gas mileage has been extremely unimpressive. Has given me comparable or worse mileage to my sedan at home with a 3.5 liter v6 which is just as heavy but a whole lot more fun. It was still probably a better choice than one of the ten Chrysler minivans in the ES at IAH on Monday

It was perfectly adequate. Not particularly fun (more because of the handling than the acceleration). Wondering where the mileage savings from the 4 cylinder are. Can't help but think what could be if this thing had a lower center of gravity and better tires. Ford Fusion turbo wagon anyone?

Edited to add: the touch screen still sucks. I have to navigate to switch it back to bluetooth audio streaming from my phone every time I get back in the car which either means pressing the touch screen several times until it registers my touch, delicately pressing using my fingernails, or hitting the source button about twenty-seven thousand times until it scrolls back past all the FM categories, all the XM categories, all the other inputs, and on and on and on. Navigating to anything else lacking a button (such as incredibly common things like radio / XM presets) is still nauseatingly aggrivating.

The instrument cluster display has been simplified quite a bit since the previous mytouch display I used, though. I do like that improvement. And they are getting better at undoing the touch screen by bringing back more buttons with tactile feedback, even if they are anonymously shaped. Bringing back the preset buttons and a button for each audio source (or knob to dial between them) would make the system a whole lot better. Duh - it would be back to what worked The on-steering wheel buttons were easy to use. The myriad of buttons extending behind the steering wheel is a bit much though.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Dec 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm