FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:27 pm
AllieKat

Originally Posted by realjd
Has anyone actually been able to use their EMV card in the US yet? Here in Central Florida at least, almost every (major) store has switched to an EMV-enabled terminal but as far as I can tell, the chip reader isn't activated yet. I've also started seeing a few of the wireless card readers at restaurants. One restaurant owner even got excited when she saw my BoA chip card and we were both disappointed when her brand new terminal didn't accept it with the chip. She said they gave her those terminals specifically because of the upcoming switch to EMV.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen the chip readers actually turned on yet here in the states. It sounds like the changeover for us is going to be sooner rather than later...
My Citi Forward isn't my main card, but I've tried it once just to see since getting the EMV - at a Smith's store in Montana. The reader basically acted like nothing happened. The reader did obviously make contact (scratch marks on the EMV chip like one would expect) and the light on the EMV slot was on... but nothing.

Around here, almost everyone has EMV readers but just talking to merchants I know almost none (if any at all) of them work, we have TONS of Canadian shoppers and I guess they try to insert their cards but have to swipe them instead. Will be curious to see when these go EMV... or if? I know Walmart plans to sooner or later, but will anyone else? Yes, there's incentives - but no mandate for merchants to accept EMV. Readers can go dormant for long periods of time - every Best Buy still has contactless readers, but Best Buy quit accepting contactless payment almost 3 years ago.