FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Services Sanity Check
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:19 pm
twb3

Hotel Services Sanity Check

Basic question: should I reasonably expect bell service (i.e luggage assistance) to be available when checking into a 3 or 4-star "full service" hotel?

Background - we were booked into a major chain full service hotel property (3 or 4 star rating, depending on source) for a four-night stay to attend an event that was being held at that same hotel's attached conference center. I usually go self-help with bags to room, but after a long, stressful day on the road I really wanted some help to make the process go easier, and was of course willing to tip accordingly.

After being given the room key, turned around and saw that the bell desk on the other side of the lobby was unmanned. Returned to the front desk and was told that the one bellman on duty was "off site" and thus unavailable. Was further informed that the luggage carts were "circulating" - meaning that I was completely on my own to find one. There were a fair number of people checking in, since the hotel was sold out for the event - which btw was in planing for a year, and the hotel has been sold out for the past six months.

Eventually obtained a cart through the grace of another guest who noticed how long I had been waiting - front desk staff (neither of them, only two present for a 300-room hotel) was of no further help.

Discussed situation with hotel GM next day and was dismissed with "the problem was all the members of your group checking in at the same time", no apology, no acceptance of any responsibility. This is factually incorrect, only about one-third checked in on the night before the event began, remainder checked in next day. And, I have no control over what time other individuals attending the same event may choose to check in.

Same event was held at another hotel last year, and that property's solution was to keep a list in arrival order of guests requesting use of a cart or asking for bell service. When a cart or bellman became available, guest at top of list was paged. This was a perfectly agreeable solution to me.

So, am I wrong to expect bell service to be available at a "full-service" hotel, and that the hotel would be staffed to handle the guest checkins known at least six months in advance, or this just a level of service that is a thing of the past?

Tom