FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury hotel reviews in London
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:53 pm
Groombridge

Originally Posted by robyng
Perhaps I'm losing my mind. But I'm exchanging email with a friend in London. And he says January/February/March are great months to dine there. OTOH - the weather looks really grim. On the third hand - there are great BF FF deals on Delta to LHR.

Anyway - I am thinking about it. Which of the hotels mentioned would be best for a winter stay? Basically - a place where the rooms are somewhat cozy - the heat works well - the plumbing can deliver instant hot showers in a shower (not a tub that serves as a shower) - and there is perhaps a fireplace in a public area. I haven't been in winter weather for a really long time - and wouldn't care to fiddle with rooms where I have to fight the cold. Robyn
I think London is a great city during the cold -- so many cozy interiors of restaurants, so many great museums, performances, etc.

Given your desire for rooms that are "somewhat cozy" with perhaps a fireplace in a public area, I'd recommend:

The Savoy: because unlike many of the 5-stars in London, the bathrooms have radiant floor heating, and I think the rooms are incredibly comfortable and beautifully designed -- very of the place, yet high spec and in superbly renovated good shape. There's no spa, so that's a distinct minus if that's a priority for this trip.

Covent Garden Hotel: There's a very cozy set of public rooms one floor above ground level, where there will definitely be fires burning and big comfortable sofas to sink into. I love the room design, but find the bathrooms clinical and unappealing (personal taste).

I have not stayed at the Draycott, but most of the suites there have their own fireplaces, and I believe the Goring also may be aligned with what you're seeking. Some others that seem like what you may be seeking: the Milestone (the lounge there has an open fireplace), and Hotel 41.

Hotels that would definitely NOT fit your description: Dorchester, 45 Park Lane, Four Seasons Park Lane, the Bulgari. I'm not criticizing these hotels, but from a design perspective are certainly more modern and chilly than what you are seeking.