FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase retention bonus or fee waiver reports [Archive]
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:12 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
We canceled my DW's Marriott card about 10 days ago, after receiving the annual fee statement. The cert -- which posted in late October -- is still in her account as I write this.
Since your annual fee is posted in Nov statement, it must be billed on Nov 1st yet the cert was deposited in your wife's account in late Oct, ahead of the fee billed? Or the annual fee was billed on Oct 1 and the statement closed sometime in Oct but you waited till November to cancel the card before the due date of the fee?

If you could clarify the timeline it would be much helpful because we have not seen our certs yet our fees are billed on Dec 1 already. However as of today 12/06, we have not seen the annual free cert deposited in our accounts yet.

I checked the application dates - they were applied 12/01/11, DH's was instant approval and mine went thru Recon. Cards showed up online 12/08 and 12/07 respectively. I would imagine the anniversary dates would be 12/07-08 the latest. Priority Club's certificates were in accounts the month of anniversary but the notification emails came right on/after the anniversary dates.

From reading the fine print, it says you have 30 days or one billing cycle (whichever is shorter) AFTER Chase provide the statement on which the annual fee is billed. So it essentially means 30 days from your statement date of the cycle the fee is billed, or before the due date of the fee which is in the next billing cycle. Is this the correct interpretation?

Frankly $85 for Cat 5 cert is barely a breakeven deal given Cat 5 is not much these days.

Originally Posted by gv111
As long as the cert is deposited to your Marriott account, u get to keep it regardless of whether your Chase Marriott card is open or close. I just closed one so I have a very recent experience.
When is the cert deposited in your Marriott account in relationship to the annual fee being billed?

Just placed a call to Chase and the rep was claiming the cert would deposit into MR account 6 to 8 weeks after anniversary date. I think this is total BS. Then he commented about I haven't used the card very much but as long as I keep the card open and in good standing the cert would come in 1 to 2 billing cycle.
(there were long stretch I did not use Marriott hotel, but the last time I used it was 3 pay stays in Europe in Oct, so there were actually just under $500 recent charges on each of the cards.)

It seems Chase now is dragging its feet in depositing the cert because lots of cancellation after 1st anniversary.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm