FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:18 am
libertyuk

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by AlastairR
Hi All,

First I would like to introduce myself, my name is Alastair Rhodes and I look after Direct Ancillary Revenue for Air NZ.
Welcome Alastair, as others have said, regardless of any concerns, you are very welcome here to engage and discuss the many matters people have, although I am sure that you are not responsible for many of the Airpoints issues people have (e.g. I agree with DCF's model which makes a lot of sense, but I am guessing this is outside your remit).

My simple gripe is the loss of being able to pre-select what are now preferred/exit row seats on long haul flights as Gold or Gold Elite. That IS a loss of value, as no longer is it first come first served (with HVCs able to select such seats when booking), but it's money with HVCs getting what's left over.

As a Gold or Gold Elite (I have been both with NZ for 16 years barring one year at Silver) I've always just liked to select my seat at booking and forget it. Now you're effectively saying "pay some more" or else wait until 48 hours beforehand.

I have BA Silver status which enables me to select preferred seats when I book, for free, indeed my Star Gold status still gets me access to preferred seats on Lufthansa Group flights for free.

I don't object to monetising good seats in economy or even premium economy, but this is a drop in privileges. Particularly grating if one is Gold Elite. Could it not be staggered so GEs can select for free at time of booking?

It's also grating that you price differentiate all of the seat select according to country of booking. I understand yield management all very well, but charging Australian and UK bookings so much more (when people travelling from those countries have plenty of alternative options) seems counter-intuitive.

Finally my pet peeve is that my partner is in an exit row on a long haul flight in Y, booked months ago when we were travelling together (I'm G, she's S), and wants to move to the row behind because we are no longer travelling together (and she is short and prefers a seat in front when alone), and despite several attempts, Air NZ wont shift her there without charging her, even though it can make more money with her abandoning the exit row seat so it is for sale (she isn't keen on the offer of moving 25 rows back). That just seems ridiculously bureaucratic in handling a transitional issue.

On the plus side, do I understand correct that if I travel alone I am offered an unsold Skycouch if I am G/GE and one is free 48 hours in advance? That is a plus.

Best regards, hope you can remain on here and find it a challenging but interesting experience!

Last edited by libertyuk; Nov 29, 2012 at 9:28 am