FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Now Pay for exit rows - "Fly Customised"
View Single Post
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:44 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Because the same genius invented Onesmart which allows anyone to buy Airpoints without limit and the end result was anyone could buy a high bucket economy fare and upgrade to confirmed Business. Who is going to buy Business fares then?
Sure, but my proposed model would tidy that up neatly without abandoning the good business aspects of Confirmed Upgrades or the encouragement of loyalty.

I repeat, in my adaptation of Confirmed Upgrades (which would only allow a 1-class upgrade):

a) You need to buy a YBMH return in Economy to be eligible to upgrade to Premium Economy - and they cost around A$3000 to the USA

b) You need to buy a U return in Premium Economy to be eligible to upgrade to Business Premier - and they cost around A$4500 to the USA.

c) The one-way Confirmed Upgrade would cost $800-1100 for passengers with status (in advance), and $1500 for passengers without status (at the last minute).

So a high economy fare couldn't be upgraded to Business Premier.

And a Premium Economy return plus Trans-Pacific Confirmed Upgrades would have a minimum cost of $6100 for a Gold Elite or $6700 for a Silver.

So the pricing is close enough to Business Premier as to not cannabilise that market, plus of course Z inventory is limited.