FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - obese pax denied boarding
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:05 am
Swissaire

I have traveled on a LH flight to FRA once, with a similar passenger.

I had requested and had a specific seat, but was asked during the flight by an FA to accommodate a mother and her child, and I was then moved to the back of the aircraft. The seat was not as the say " as described., " and the passenger i was seated next to was enormous. She did not speak German, French, Italian, Russian, or English, and the kindest thing I can say is she certainly kept me warm with her body rolls for 10 hours. Unfortunately, it was a Summer flight.

As the passenger was able to belt into the seat, it was not a problem for LH. I, on the other hand I was unable to open my tray, so I didn't eat. Note that I was seated against the window, in a two seat corner, so an emergency would have been very interesting.

Exiting the aircraft, one of the FA's servicing the rear of the aircraft being either dense or intentionally curt, asked me why I didn't eat. Taking a slow breath, I explained as calmly as I could. I was offered a bottle of champagne, but thinking I would probably be arrested for clocking an FA over the head, I declined as nicely as I could.

My wife hearing about this incident that evening ( after the final Malpensa leg ) was furious, as I had requested and paid for that specific seat, well in advance. The next day it was September 11th, 2001, and events took over any thought of complaint. But it does provide some personal experience with this incident.

In this case, reading this article details in Deutsche Welle, Die Welt, Le Temps, Journal du Jura, including FT online, and seeing it featured on numerous news programs, I get a good picture of the situation. Certainly, I do feel sorry for the family. The death of any relative or loved one is a loss: No question.

But I cannot fault LH, nor any other airline for refusing this woman as a passenger. She presented an obvious safety problem to the flight, to herself, and the other passengers. My thinking is that she should have been under a doctor's care, or in a hospital. One does not refrain from visiting a local physician if one is ill.

For example, one of my uncles became quite ill visiting the Grand Canyon, and wanted to fly back home, which is understandable, just as this woman and her husband did. But my uncle was seen by a doctor instead, and then admitted to a hospital, rather than flying home. He was not released to return until one month later when he stabilized and recovered somewhat. It turned out he was very ill, and in no condition to fly. And that return one month later, was by an air ambulance covered by his insurance, and not a commercial flight with other passengers.

Clearly, one should not fly if one presents a safety hazard.

Last edited by Swissaire; Nov 28, 2012 at 3:13 am