FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MR on WN for 3 flights. Worth it?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:21 am
ElmhurstNick
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It looks like I might have to do a MR to retain A+ this year, as a whole bunch of my December travel evaporated or got dumped back into January. Fortunately, I have the double point promo out of MKE, so I'll be able to buy BS MKE-MSP and WGA back (I'm qualifying on points, not segments) and have it be less painful.

Total cost will be $348 and I'll end up with 10128 extra points worth $169. I like to go to Milwaukee anyway, so the drive time and gas isn't an issue. Given that I will earn at least another $400 worth of points next year by being A+ instead of A-, it's annoying but worth it, especially because the amount I'm short is from taking a bump on a BS flight this spring to save my employer $250 and make myself $200. At the time, I was on a WN BS/AT barrage, but lately I've been on all WGA fares.

This is the first time in about probably six or seven years that I have to do a pure MR on any airline to retain status or earn a status-related benefit, so since I'm net positive with the bump money, I'm ok with it.