FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios - ex airmiles account and BA account
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:21 pm
kitbag1984

Originally Posted by David-A
Because it would severly limit their future options, to do things with the Avios brand. Turn it into a nectar style mass market scheme, etc.

Keep in mind you can book other airlines flights with Avios.com, i.e. Monarch etc, all online. Not great value, but you can do it.
And Eurostar, etc.

I think I said that here on FT on day 1 of the annoucement, certainly many of us were saying it in the first few days. Why not call it Avios UK direct or something like that.

Especially since it has a website, avios.com, which does not immediatly suggest it is something for the UK only. Hence many people thinking it is for everyone using Avios, e.g. Iberia Plus members etc.

But as we know, that would have meant continuing to licence the Air Miles brand, which they did not own.

I'm not going to rehash the old threads here, we've all said before how we think it is badly explained.

Ideally Avios.com would be a site explaining the avios currency. And 'Avios direct UK' would have it's own site.
But why is that a bar to merging the schemes?

If they want to turn it into a mass market Nectar style scheme then why not merge them. Giving them even more appeal.

You can transfer the damn things so why overcomplicate matters.

Sorry, maybe im being dim but I just dont get it!