FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - website issue + phantom flight
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:16 pm
islackmore

Programs: United Premier Gold, Hilton Diamond
website issue + phantom flight

hey guys, I'll try to keep this short...

I noticed via hotwire that UA runs flight 861 from GRU-GIG. However, it is impossible to book this flight in any fashion via the united.com website. I called the premier line as well as united.com support and they were perplexed and couldn't figure out what was going on, nor could they book the flight if i wanted to. If you attempt to do a one way from GRU-GIG the united.com website says that "United does not offer service between Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG). Please modify your search criteria."

I noticed all of this when seaching for a RT from from AUS-GIG departing 12/04 and returning 12/10 on kayak/hotwire. In those itineraries flight 861 shows up as TAM 8283 for both the IAD-GRU and GRU-GIG legs. However, if you check the united flight status it's actually flight 861 for both legs and it appears to be operated by united. I even checked the flight status for tomorrow and the entire plane is nearly empty. I guess it's hard for people to book it if the united.com support can't do it either

Anyway, the AUS-IAD-GRU-GIG option obviously doesn't show up as a possible itinerary on united.com because of this problem, nor do any other possible itineraries from any other origin point that could utilize the GRU-GIG leg.

In this case my desired itinerary (on hotwire) is $1082 vs. 1500-1900 normally. I'd like to just book it on united.com. Does anyone think i should just risk it and book on hotwire??

thanks!