FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:49 am
eloraculo

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
mentioning FT to a tv show wasn't my idea. and the arguments over the last couple of pages are nothing new.

no one is being stranded! they have purchased one way tickets originating in Rangoon. this is not a return ticket, it originates in Rangoon. the airline didn't carry you there and then cancel your return.

passengers have chosen to book connecting flights, knowing full well that there was a potential risk. but they have chosen to go ahead anyway, so they can experience first class for a fraction of the price.

they could have avoided any risk entirely by cancelling their tickets, or not participating at all.

if you were genuinely in Rangoon and looking to fly to the USA, then your regular fare would have $10k anyway. all you have to do now is buy that same ticket for $10k and in reality, the $800 gamble hasn't paid off. (the only problem with that argument is that not many would have been in Rangoon anyway, and they don't normally pay $10k for a ticket)

there are consumer protection laws. we are waiting to see how they pan out. there are also contract laws, and some are choosing to pursue those avenues.

now that people know there is a good chance they may not fly, they alone can determine what action to take. fly to Rangoon or don't. wait for dot or don't. no one needs to be stranded. even if your ticket is still live, you alone are making the choice to fly to Rangoon knowing your ticket may get cancelled even the day before and without, as yet, dot protection.
What potential risk? To me DOT rules are very clear, this ticket is the same as the next ticket. I don't mind if they cancel within a reasonable time, I do mind when it takes them weeks and months, you can ask KE about that.