FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:35 am
NYBanker

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Achilles
Is it possible to overpay a credit card using BB and then request a refund check from the credit card?
Yes. Just don't do it often. And, assuming you are funding via a credit card, how would your cc balance fall below your Bb balance?

Originally Posted by deant
Sounds like a great way to get your CC and your BB accounts shut down.

Normally refunds are processed the same way the money was received. However with BB being new I don't suspect that anyone has definitive information on how a BB payment would be "reversed".
Your second statement is incorrect. CC credit balances are always refunded by check upon request. A bb payment simply shows up as a payment to the card issuer. Very different than "reversing" a transaction.

Your first statement also could use some clarification. If the cc being paid isn't an Amex, bb would not even know about the credit balance on the card. That part of shut down risk is nil.

Your cc issuer, however, would look oddly upon having repeated credit balances and check requests. I go back to my earlier statement...with bank to bank eft as a fallback and the high likelihood you have charges equal to your bb balance, why would you do this more than infrequently?