FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:40 pm
LivelyFL

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by shoreline
fti,

I thought I understood. My response was that if you have investment property, carry a mortgage (yes with interest) and you rent it for double the payment, the renter is paying the mortgage the interest and more. Meaning that makes up for some of the loss from a personal property with this going on, + the itemization on tax deductions + other things you can deduct due to itemization = alleviating some personal loss. (am I confused or thinking incorrect? )

I know my personal tax bracket is much higher if I don't have these deductions, rental property, mortgage, etc.

Yes, of course, I wish I were debt free. But, I can see the positive side with investment property alleviating some of the loss, (correct?)

Now, as fti says: back to our regular programming.

fti, you can pm me if you wish. this is probably not the best thread for a tax discussion. It was simply a side note from the BB mortgage discussion.
If you have an investment property and collect rent, then you file your income/expenses on Schedule E. Investment property mortgage interest does not go on Schedule A (itemizing).