FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frankfurt 1 year with family
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:58 pm
swelch

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways/AA
Sorry for any confusion --problem is finding a car

I am familiar with the way apartments work in Germany and will be finding a fitted kitchen! Hubby had to help a coworker move apartments in Dusseldorf several years ago so I have heard all about the walls and no fixtures!

The kids have been told they will most likely be sharing a small room. They are 4 and 6 years old. Since we are short term and spanning parts of 2 school years we have decided to save $ and go with the local public school.

I have inquired into the private international schools as well as the semi private like Phorms and Obermayr. They will still run about 700E/month so doesn't help our bottom line financially to make the investment. We don't know German but have started learning some here at home. Waiting on employer to provide a language program but we are on a waiting list. May break down and buy Rosetta Stone.

I have contacted the Main Taunus Kreis schulamt and spoken with a social worker at Eschborn Sud primary school. Most likely my son will repeat 1st grade since he isn't fluent in German. He will receive some extra language lessons. They would have us enroll him in vorschule when we arrive if there is space to get language lessons.
My daughter would be starting Kindergarten in August if we stayed in the states. I plan to place her in a Kindergarten there to keep socializing and language exposure.

I discussed returning to school with our principal here and he would just place my son into 2nd grade like nothing happened with his classmates. He is already advanced and I will have access to the curriculum he should be learning so he won't be behind to finish the school year. If not we have the summer to get catch up on concepts that might be harder in math. His reading is 2 years ahead.

Husband will be under DKV but we will be covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield worldwide. He is a short term work assignment so the normal rules don't apply somehow. He will not extend past 1 year on the visa. I will not be allowed to work.

His job site is in Eschborn and after commuting 30+ miles and 40 minutes for the past 7 years we would like to have more family time where he can possibly walk to work. I have read up on the RMV and the Eschborn Sud train station boundary.

I have spoken with our tax accountant and she is familiar with the rules having several clients working overseas. We have already reviewed the rules. Apparently the 1st 65,000 of income is not taxable to the US....and most of our expenses for the job will be tax deductible since it is considered temporary.