FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chris Elliott: "Frequent flier programs are a scam"
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:00 am
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

It seems like a good segment of the population gets the card and:

1) Doesn't really know how to cash in an award (looks for peak travel season, defined dates, multiple people, a month ahead of said planned trip)

2) Gets the card, uses it here and there, is disappointed in mile accrual. (It takes xxx years to get to an award) I have a friend with an AA card that wanted to go to France... "Oh," she says to me, "I have TONS of miles! I've been using this card for years!" Turns out she doesn't even have the 40K needed for r/t off peak. That was a stark realization for her.

3) Has a British Airways card and realizes, "Hey, I might as well just buy a ticket"

4) Pays renewal fees year after year without cashing in an award "Hey, I might as well just buy a ticket".

5) Lets miles expire -- concludes the whole thing was a major "FAIL"

6) Doesn't want to change a thing in order to play the game... won't use credit cards for all purchases, won't order online, won't get a second card for spouse or self, won't read MMS about how to do it, etc. Wants free miles and redemptions to be easy...

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:02 am Reason: add double-spacing between data points