FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to hack a Comcast Xfinity router?
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:56 am
WChou

Originally Posted by danielonn
We have ATT U-Verse and AFAIK you can enter the IP Address of your router 121.202.121 etc and the password should be your Wifi WEP password or it should be on the side of the box.

We do not use a secondary router as everything goes through the ATT WiFi Modem and I must say we have not had any issues thus far. They even added a wireless TV receiver for the 2nd TV.

To access your modem what I would do is call the manufacture to see if there is a generic password. You could reset the modem by pressing in the"reset" button for 10 seconds with a pen.

Then Google the model of the modem Motorola and see what the generic password is.

Then you go in using the WiFI address to access the modem settings. Go ahead and change your WiFi password and log in to see a list of connected devices.

If the Wifi Router has a Firewall you could try opening a port in which the alarm security system runs on.

You may have to resort to getting a WiFi Bridge Router and plug in your Comcast Modem to it. It should have a WiFi capability(Netgear or Belkin) see if you can plug in the modem of the security system to it and run it that way.

You may want a Comcast Security Tech to come out and work with you and have them give you the password.

If this does not work I would get a module to plug into your phone system. If you are on VOIP some alarm systems will not work to seize the line. If you can have your parents add a second basic Plain Old Telephone Line for $10 a month then do it. If the alarm system can run on VOIP get a second VOIP line without phone company voicemail setup as if your on the phone and it seizes the line it may or may not work especially for the updates.

My hunch is Comcast does not want to give you the password because you are speaking with a Level 1 Tech. Ask to speak to a Level 3 Tech and have the Level 1 Tech open a ticket. If your alarm company tech has to do it on your behalf get Comcast on the line with the tech at your home and authorize the tech to speak with Comcast.

You can also run alarm diagnostic tests. First call your alarm company to put it into test mode. Then go to the menu settings and have it run the dialing test to see that it connects to the alarm company. Test all alarms from medical, police and fire. Do a "Walk Test". Do a Zone Test, Away Test etc.

If your alarm comes back with "connection failed" and if a beeping sounds on the panel you know there is a connection problem. Hit acknowledge and silence to void this error.

Anyways you need to have a backup battery and phone line if your VOIP goes out. You would need to make sure the VOIP modem has a battery pack installed.

In any case I reccommend a plain old telephone line(POTS) as a dedicated line for the alarm just like a fax machine alarms systems may or may not respond to VOIP systems.

Please know I don't work for an alarm company but have studied telephone systems etc. If you need any more help please don't hesitate to ask and I would be happy to help you diagnose the problem.

First take the tips above and go down the list and if it still doesn't work please reply and I will try to help or send me a PM and I can e-mail you or even do it over the phone.
Incorrect on so many levels with no usable information.