FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth buying up to Chairman? (Merged Threads)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:43 pm
WiscAZ

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer
Do you think that you will be doing the same amount of flying next year? Flying 100k miles as a CP would mean an extra 25K in bonus miles. That's a return coach ticket so the value of that to you might offset the club membership fee....

How often are you getting upgraded at the moment? Are you one of those people (like me!!!) that check a few days before your upgrade window to see how many first class seats there are pre and post chairmans upgrades? That should give you and indication of how the upgrade rates will increase for your routes.

I understand that you will receive 2 lots of upgrade certificates. One for the current year that must be used for a booking by Feb 2013. The other lot, will be for next program year to be used by Feb 2014.

From the US website "These certificates are issued each year on March 1 and expire at the end of February of the following year".

I don't consider the club food/drink offerings to be that beneficial - but I certainly do appreciate that club environment - and the "angels' assistance are worth their weight in gold IMO.

The 50% chance of being out 8K miles does complicate things - but if I were going to be flying the same amount of miles next year I would probably go for the club membership - since the cost for me would be pretty much offset by the bonus miles (award flight), and averaged over the year - the club membership + extra chance of upgrades would make flying those 100K miles more comfortable.
I will likely fly as much next year. Good point about the potential 25% bonus. My concern is that if I'm out the 8000 miles then buying up will cost me another significant amount if cash that I don't know if I would want to pay. The club would be nice for the environment but the food and drink doesn't do much for me.

Unfortunately, I don't know how different my upgrades would be from platinum to CP. I fly out of Phoenix and seem to get upgraded more often coming back