FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:18 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rak007
Right but what should a person do in my case then ? I am returning home after 1 year and 4 months (next month) and i have things which are used and bought more than 6 months back to some more than an year back and i have bills to prove that. But i fear customs will be calculating their own assessed values and either ask for bribe to "settle" the matter or penalize me.
I read the customs doc and as a professional returning to India after 365 days i believe i have right to bring 75000 worth of goods and this is supposedly separate from the 35000 duty free allowance.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Used Used items applies to personal effects, household items, say, towel, sheets, cookware, iron etc. The keyword here is "household". Used personal effects can be imported duty free, but any items not consumed will have to be exported when you leave India. "Usedness" is not meant to allow duty free import of "phoren" goods, if you get the idea. The intent behind allowing used personal effects to be imported duty free is to facilitate your everyday life. Your shaving cream, razor, cologne, your clothes, and if you are foreigner resident in India, your household goods, are allowed duty free. It's not meant for importing used consumer electronics.

The fear of being harassed by customs officers is a myth perpetrated by people who don't want to pay the duty. I have never been harassed by customs officers. If you try outsmart them, they will go after you with all their might. That's where harassment comes into play. It used to be that flights coming from the Middle East and SEA received extra attention, as that's where most people brought stuff from. Now that India NA traffic has grown and much of that comes through the Middle East, I don't know if flights coming from the Middle East receive special attention. In anycase, they are not likely to pay much attention to you once they know that you are returning from the U.S.
You will be fine if you make an honest declaration. Since you are returning to India after staying abroad for more than year, your duty free allowance for used goods is Rs 75,000, provided those items are not excluded otherwise.