FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:34 am
rak007

Originally Posted by Keyser
they do have a method of calculating duty & its a pretty fair method....i have not come across an official asking for a bribe is a very very long time & neither has anyone else i know so maybe this sort of thing is not common anymore....what is the value of your items & what kind of items are these????

i could be wrong here but i believe you are only entitled to inr 75k & not the additional inr 35k....
even that 75K would be ok with me. But those customs have to take the word written in their document. I am completely ok if they do not give me 35K + 75K and only 75K

As of now as i prepare to leave USA, i have taken printouts of all the bills i paid for the things i am bringing back and also the customs document and the government letter which mentions the duty free allowance has been increased to 35K (since the customs link is not updated).
You think it will help me if i carry all these documents and question them if they ask me to pay duty. Because along with me and my wife if my wife is not considered "professional retuning to India" then at least she should get 35K which totally makes 75K for me + 35K for her.

Please correct me if i am wrong anywhere.