FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who we all are
Thread: Who we all are
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:47 pm
bmam7

Programs: QF Gold
I've been a lurker on this very informative site for a while now and thought it was time I introduced myself. I live near Brisbane, Australia, and am now retired with a part-time job, so I can take the advantage of short trips now and then as opportunity and cost arise.

When I worked full-time, there were years when I hardly seemed to be off a plane or at home. Alas my trips were all domestic and it was mostly before the days of FF points and status credits (we could only fly QF and its domestic predecessor TAA/Australian Airlines). I am now Qantas Club FF Silver and heading to retain that status for another year but all my travel is at my own expense these days. I can't see myself ever reaching Gold (although you never know) or the even loftier heights of Platinum.

I don't wish to sound rude and feel free to slap me down if you think the question inappropriate but I notice many posters have Platinum this or Gold that as well as high status at various hotel chains. May I ask if you are all business people, rich or just savvy and simply know how to use the various FF systems to your advantage?

For myself, I have certainly increased FF points (and status credits) by flying eg BNE to CBR via SYD rather than a non-stop flight. I choose the cheaper QF fares when offered and there is usually not much difference in the cost. Is this how many of you experts are operating?

I have more than enough FF points for a oneWorld 35,000 mile trip in business class which I hope to use next year - the limitations are that you have a maximum of 5 stopovers but not twice in the same city, fly QF and at least 2 other oneWorld carriers and the journey can't be longer than 35k miles - which does give a lot of leeway.

Last time I did this I flew (thanks to the vagaries of the system) CBR-BNE-CNS-NRT (QF) (overnight in NRT but less than 24 hours so not a stopover), NRT-LHR (BA), LHR-ORD (BA); ORD-CDG (AA); bought a cheap ticket on BA from CDG to LHR, cheap ticket EDI-LHR (from BA), LHR-DUB, DUB-EDI (EI - these were bought direct from EI but I got full points and status credits with QF on the LHR-DUB leg as it was a QF codeshare. The BA points were pathetic.

I travelled by Eurostar to Brussels, then flew Brussels Airlines to Berlin, train to Amsterdam, then home AMS-LHR-SIN (BA); SIN-PER (QF) (overnight in Perth but again less than 24 hours), PER-SYD-CBR (QF). Great fun!

I've also discovered the advantages with QF of their points plus pay system and am travelling to Auckland soon for a relatively small price plus points. However it's my understanding that because I am "buying" a ticket, I get the normal points plus status credits, whereas had I just used FF points then, of course, I would simply be burning up points. This way at least I get some points back plus the even more important status credits.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough - it's a great website and I'm going to see if I can take advantage of any other tips garnered from the regulars here. Thanks for reading.