FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware customs officials in Mumbai International airport!!! [merged]
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 am
rak007

Originally Posted by Keyser
i don't think they harass anyone....the fact of the matter is that most tourists coming to india plan on taking back the items they have brought with them, whereas most indians returning home usually have items valued at more than their duty free allowance which they fail to declare....these people should be stopped & made to pay the applicable duty....
Right but what should a person do in my case then ? I am returning home after 1 year and 4 months (next month) and i have things which are used and bought more than 6 months back to some more than an year back and i have bills to prove that. But i fear customs will be calculating their own assessed values and either ask for bribe to "settle" the matter or penalize me.
I read the customs doc and as a professional returning to India after 365 days i believe i have right to bring 75000 worth of goods and this is supposedly separate from the 35000 duty free allowance.
Correct me if i am wrong.