FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 am
MikeFreebie

Originally Posted by crimson12
The idea that we are somehow "pulling one over" on the banks is laughable.

They know exactly what we are doing. They know all about the churning. The airlines know about the tricks. The mint knew about the mint, etc. We are a relatively small and fairly crazy bunch. The costs we "impose" on them are small compared to the overall size and magnitude of their businesses. I know it is heresy to say so, but FT is not that important in the scheme of things! Most people have never heard of it.

Banks (and all companies) don't give one whit about "the game". They care only about making a profit. When their bottom line suffers, they will take note, game or no game, churns or no churns. And conversely, if they are making a lot of money, they're happy to let a small minority of kind of maniacal people use their products to go nuts.
I work for a large company and it's funny that pople assume that these large companies know everything that's going on. Often times, they don't. They certainly don't care; they've got far bigger issues. Also, most large companies are very focussed on revenue, not costs. I'm new to the hobby (and the blogs you guys complain about were very helpful in getting started), but I know about finance and Fortune companies.