FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrades on Award Ticket
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:08 pm
BOB W

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by badah
Not sure if this is unusual, but I just checked in on OAK-LIH AS#879 for tomorrow, and was offered a chance to buy upgrades for $100 per seat for me and the Mrs. We're flying on BA avios Y awards, a bargain at 25K plus $30 each RT -- and while I'm not sure it's worth $100 each to go from an exit row to the front (one-way) given what I've heard about AS first, I bit the bullet and paid. (I was also offered a price of 15K AS miles per seat -- which I passed on, assuming AS miles were worth more than the cash.) Neither of us has any AS status, but we're both AA EXP, which AS has in our record. Did I overpay?--it seemed easy to think not, what with having paid for our Y seats with BA avios... And I guess I'm hoping to get the chance to do it again on our return, though the first cabin looks a little fuller (8/16 occupied on the seat map, vs 4/16 on the outbound), so I can imagine I might not get the chance.
$100 got you the wider seat, more leg room, free digiplayer, nice meal & snacks and free alcohol. On this long of a journey I would consider it a bargain, especially on an award ticket.