FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Qantas Seat Guide
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:25 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
question on seat allocation... (please feel free to move if I got this in the wrong thread...)

QFFF silver. Flying MEL-SYD in May. Paid by bpay. Options for seating are only the last 10 rows or so of the 767.

Earlier bookings in november (this year) and April next year, same status, but paid by credit card.... allowed to book seats further forward including the exit rows.

Am I penalised for bpay? All the exits on the May flight are greyed out, which seems strange.
I very much doubt there is any difference with payment method. Seating availability is based on many factors. As you have noted, status is the same for both flights, so that is not the key factor here. The expected load factor and expected passenger status mix will come into play. So for a week-day morning or evening departure that is likely to fill later with high-status members, QF will block out the front rows for those higher status members. A middle-of-the-day or weekend flight is less likely to fill late with high-status members so a Silver member may be presented more forward rows.

Exit rows on domestic flights do not appear to be blocked/reserved for high-status members, so are often available for selection by Silver members.

Another factor for seat selection can be the actual fare class paid. The exact formula used to determine seat availability is not published so we are all guessing and basing assumptions on personal experiences and what we have head on forums such as this.

As always, check again regularly and especially at T-80 and closer to the departure date as the options available to you are very likely to change.