FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:58 pm
svasandani

ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)

Here is the situation:

I had booked tickets for a family of 6 to travel from DFW to LAX and also separately purchased Cruise tickets for the entire family departing from Long Beach. On the day of departure the outbound flight was listed to be on time when I checked in at the ticket counter at DFW. Since, I am the only one with status (Platinum) I decided to check in 2 big bags (50lbs each) under my name which contained all of our belongings (clothes, shoes, toiletries etc.). When we reached the gate, the airline started posting delays 30 mins at a time (due to weather conditions at DFW) and we finally departed 2.5 hours late and arrived at 2:30 PM instead of the scheduled Noon arrival time. However, none of our checked bags made the flight. I filed a report at the baggage service desk at LAX and they promised to deliver the bags the next day at the first port where the cruise ship would dock and also authorized $250 in expenses for incidentals until the bags arrived. I left LAX for the port and made it just in time to board the ship before the 5:30PM departure from Long Beach.

From the cruise ship I made numerous calls to the baggage service dept each day but they could not locate my bags for 4 days. On the 2nd day after it was clear I won’t get the bags delivered to the port on time I asked for additional authorization. First couple of times they refused to increase the authorization but on the last try the agent spoke with the supervisor and told me the supervisor wants to hold-off for now on increasing the authorization but that I should go ahead and make additional purchases as necessary and keep all the receipts.

When I reached back at Long Beach on the last day I called baggage service and they told me that the bags had been found and waiting for pickup at LAX airport. When I picked up my bags I spoke with the baggage service agent and she was ready to cut a check for $250 if I produced the receipts but my receipts totaled over $500 so I asked them to leave the case open and that I would settle it with the central office upon my return to DFW.

I am now back home but have not yet contacted AA baggage service because I want to first figure out what is the right compensation I should ask for. I believe, I am definitely entitled to the reimbursement of actual expenses but not sure what additional compensation they should provide for all the inconvenience and agony they caused throughout the trip for all 6 of us, spending hours on the phone with customer service, not having the right attire and spending too much time trying to find the right stuff to buy to survive on the ship (very limited selection and exorbitantly priced). This was our first ever cruise and they completely spoiled our vacation.

Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 10, 2012 at 9:16 am Reason: restore post title