FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to Sit on a United 737-800?
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:19 am
lhrsfo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Why do people feel entitled to Economy Plus? It's like CPUs, UA does not guarantee this benefit it is subject to availability. Why do people feel entitled to compensation when they are seated in "E-", a standard economy seat like they purchased. Years ago CO had a no middle seat guarantee for Plats and offered 2500 miles or so for ending up in a middle. NW at one time had a similar policy of giving Plats miles when they were not upgraded. I don't think UA did anything wrong, the OP got the economy seat they purchased.

And I'd gladly give up this EconomyPlus and Channel 9 nonsense to have a clean, modern, new 738 with Sky Interior operated by sCO crews than a grimy sUA aircraft.
People feel entitled to E+ because it is a major benefit of UA, has been for years and is heavily promoted as such. As with all things, it is capacity-constrained and everyone realises that, but it is as close to being an entitlement as it comes and is on a similar level of entitlement as earning miles for flying.

As to the concept of giving up E+ in exchange for a 738 with Sky Interior and sCO crews, I've never read anything so ridiculous. First off, 738s don't have the range to fly much of the route network, so we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Secondly, we would be waiting for an awfully long time for our flights as they don't have many of that type of plane - and will never do so. Thirdly, I, and many others would rather have the greater space that an Airbus offers. And fourthly, sCO crews are as hit and miss as sUA crews.

I should add that I'm not a UA apologist or a CO hater. I've been very impressed with the speed which new UA have been adding E+ to the fleet - but I do my utmost to avoid flying in an aircraft without it - and have so far succeeded.