FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is an "average" cost to obtain 1K
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by QBK
Fair question. I can't answer for aacharya, but it wouldn't be the first time somebody's done it -- I think lucky9876coins flew roughly 100K of domestic mileage runs a few years ago. And it's not economically illogical. W fares are expensive, and if you can get 1K for $3500, you're earning almost enough RDM for a couple of trips in international F that would cost $15K each -- plus between CPU priority and strategic domestic use of GPUs, you might never have to sit in coach.
But, have you ever flown 100K domestically? Who, in their right mind, would actually *want* to take a "few" international trips after having endured 100K on domestic flights? Also, to get these 2 cpm flights, wouldn't you have to be doing red-eye flights more often than not? Doesn't that just add to the pain and suffering of the 100K at 2 cpm domestic only proposition?

I don't doubt that these things are possible, but I question the point of it. Does this lead to happiness? To health? To anything valuable?

CPU priority is a red herring. Those days are over.

Originally Posted by Brasila
I agree....I have always thought these low costs to get to 1K are FT myths or FT trolling....
I don't want to question the credibility of others here, but I've got to say, it seems highly improbable to me. More importantly, though, it seems self-destructive. Even if it's possible - it begs the question - why?

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
You can always burn the GPUs for domestic travel. The RDM and the fee waivers for being a 1K might justify the "investment" by themselves.

FT is a strongly biased sample. Most people (even on FT) do not do mileage runs.

I am a 4-figure 1K on my own spend. I don't take mileage runs, but I tend to fly on competitive routes.
My argument is that 1K is only worth having for GPUs that get you out of hell on long flights. These days, with TODs and HODs and X-UPs, there are plenty of cheap and easy ways to get into F. And, fee waivers are given to all tiers, so assuming one would naturally be at the 50K or 75K level, I'm not sure how much incremental value there is from the fee waivers compared with the cost of acquiring the status to get the waivers in the first place.

And, as for you, "4 figure" means anything from 1,000 to 9,999. That's a big range. I'm questioning some of these $3-4K numbers. If you told me you were at $8-9K, it would be easier to for me to comprehend.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm Reason: merge