FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is an "average" cost to obtain 1K
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerChrisK

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Forgive the ignorance but how in the world does someone fly 100,000 miles at 3 CPM? This implies that a 5,000 mile transcon is $150. Right?

In addition, W fares are 8-11 CPM, and what's the point of being 1K if you're not flying at 30,000 - 60,000 miles in W fares to use GPUs?

For the record, I'm shocked to hear so many people getting 1K for < $4,000. I easily spend $10-15K (minimum) and in some years, well north of $30K.
You can always burn the GPUs for domestic travel. The RDM and the fee waivers for being a 1K might justify the "investment" by themselves.

FT is a strongly biased sample. Most people (even on FT) do not do mileage runs.

I am a 4-figure 1K on my own spend. I don't take mileage runs, but I tend to fly on competitive routes.

Originally Posted by craz
I dont blame COdbaUA for this and fully understand why they are doing what they are. I have many times posted that from Plat up should be Rev based besides Miles based
Nearly any revenue scheme will be gameable in some way (or annoy employers). Set a revenue threshold in absolute terms? Pure MRs with a bit more disposable income will triple their flying, hit the revenue target, and walk off with even more miles to burn. Set a CPM threshold? Employers will frown on employees picking fares to hit that CPM target.