FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Missing Exit Stamp from EU
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:11 pm
greg5

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I had a contrary experience.

I entered the Schengen area via CDG (from U.S). The immigration official neglected to stamp my passport. I traveled to Denmark and then Germany. When leaving FRA to return to the U.S. the German border official said I didn't have an entry stamp and so this exit is illegal -- there could be a big fine, etc, I could have been in Europe for months. I showed him my air itinerary. After he heard I entered via CDG, he had that look of disgust on his face, like those inefficient French. Also, from my past stamps, he could see that I made multiple trips to/through FRA previously, of 1-2 week duration. He let me go with a strong warning to be sure to get the stamp next time.
The German officials can sometimes be difficult. I was travelling on an expired residency permit and a letter explaining that the permit was being upgraded to a more permanent one. The guy at FRA didn't like that my passport hadn't been stamped out. I handed him the permit and letter. He grumbled and let me though.

Another time I got the guy in FRA asking what I'd done in Germany. I handed him my residency permit and said: "Nothing, I live in Switzerland".