FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt House (Summerfield) Miami - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:09 am
JAFU007

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Welcome to Hyatt House. How may I argue with you?

As a frequent Hyatt traveler, I have seen it all: good and bad. This has probably got to be my worst Hyatt experience ever. Granted, they have not been part of the Hyatt family for very long (neither has the staff), and granted most of the staff appear to be under 25, but they are in dire need of training.

I had prepaid my reservation on Hyatt.com for a king bed. When I checked in there were two desk clerks, one helping a guy in a suit and one helping me. I really scored the wrong one. The clerk helping the suit said things like, "I see you are platinum, thanks for your business" while my guy seemed to fumble around from the beginning. Probably new, I think, so I just stand there, saying nothing, waiting. He then proceeds to tell me that they upgraded me to a suite with 2 double beds. Well, I appreciate the offer, but I am alone and really just wanted a king, be it in a suite or not.

This is where it breaks down. I pull up my reservation on my phone and show the king bed and the fact that my bed type was guaranteed. He says, " but we upgraded you - you should be grateful." I should? Well, I appreciate the thought, but I just want what I reserved and paid for (in advance). "No. We are going to upgrade you. Thats what they did."

I tried to explain that a benefit of my status with Hyatt is guaranteed bed type. He says because they upgraded me, that is what I get. And thus we started going round and round. He never said, give me a second and let me see what I can do. He just keeps arguing with me. Not acceptable.

Then he whips out a "contract" for me to sign. In the 25 Hyatts I have stayed this year (including Park Hyatt's and Regencys) I have never had to sign a contract. With a highlighter he starts ticking off areas to initial and sign. "Initial your name," he says. Why? I ask. I mean, its my name - do you suddenly think I am going to change it and/or say it isn't me? "Its the law. Its a contract." Oh really? I think to myself.

Its clear to me this guy has no clue. I muddle through this the best I can (after his partner stepped in to secure my king bed). I get the keys and off to the room. This is a pretty big property and full of long, ugly, dated hallways. I felt like it would make a good scene for a horror movie.

The room is average. I was disappointed as there are no ice machines, so I had to wait for my fridge to produce them. Perhaps they could leave that feature on. Amenities were average. The bed is not a typical Hyatt bed (or at least it did not feel as such). Not 100% cleaned - some hairs on bathroom floor (I shave my head so I KNOW that they are not mine).

4am: Alarm starts blaring at max volume. Its dark. I am half asleep. The buttons are faded so I cant figure out how to turn it off. I push buttons until it stops. 4:15am: Alarm #2 starts blaring. I unplug it.

Breakfast: I always thought Hyatt House would be better than Hyatt Place but this does not seem to be the case. I added pics of the faux-eggs cheese omelet squares and mini sausages that were served. There were no knives or forks. Several of us wandered around looking, but only spoons. At 7:45am they were out. The food was luke warm. A huge disappointment.

The hotel is a good location. Free wifi. Free Parking. Maybe if staff had some better training things would have gone another direction. Personally, I would NOT stay here again.