FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:06 pm
Himeno

Programs: QFF
Just went through DTW.
No line to TDC premium line. Got carry ons together on the belt and told the TSO wondering around between the xray belts that I was opting out just before I pushed my things into the xray. Called for an assist on the radio, which was repeated a moment later by the other TSO blocking the WTMD. The first TSO then asked if I knew what the opt out was, etc. Said yes, no additional speech.
Stood beside the WTMD for a minute while they worked out who was going to do it, then let through the gate between WTMD and MMW.

TSO picked up my things from the belt and moved them beside the ETD. Was asked about "sensitive areas", no speech about the pat down itself or any mention of "resistance". I asked for gloves to be changed, which was done without issue.
No lifting of shirt or aiming for my waist band. Pat down stopped an inch or so below 'personal' areas.
Gloves were swapped, and free to go.

LAX:
Got to the checkpoint (First/Precheck AA lane) shortly after opening in the morning. Opted out as soon as I was able to. Waited about 30 seconds for the assist.
After pointing out my things on the belt, the TSO made a comment about having 4 items (backpack, laptop bag, laptop, shoes) my stuff was collected and moved over to the ETD. Another TSO picked up my laptop and put it back in the bag (while I was watching).

The pat down was much like the one in DTW, only this time they did go for the waist band.

Last edited by Himeno; Nov 5, 2012 at 6:39 am