FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Avios on Qantas 2013 onwards?
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:54 pm
QF Lad

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by yyj9
Hi all, first time on the BA forum, and first time trying figure out avios, so please point me to an existing thread if there is one.

I'm planning a trip to Australia (from Canada) and will use aeroplan to get to Sydney.
For some of the domestic flights I am thinking I should convert RBC visa Avion points to Avios - 50% bonus right now, and use them on Qantas.
-First question - is there any subtle rule that says I must accumulate avios by flying or through buying something or will I be okay transferring my RBC points and using them on a flight.

The flights I am interested in are Cairns to Uluru (AYQ) and then AYQ - Sydney, but AYQ does not show as a destination. I understand from another post that these flights are eligible and I will need to call in.
-2nd question - Does anyone know how many points these will cost? If the agent doesn't know that AYQ is eligible, what is the best way to handle it?

Thanks

No, there is no subtle rule that Avios must be earned by flying to redeem on QF flights. An Avios is an Avios regardless of how it is earned.

In terms of the number of Avios required to fly from Cairns to Ayers Rock, you would need to check with the BAEC. If you can search online for the number of Avios required to fly from Cairns to Alice Springs, the number of Avios required to fly to Ayers Rock would be very similar.

If there is no availability to Ayers Rock, I suggest you either:

(1) see if there is award availability to Alice Spings, and fly or drive to Ayers Rock; or

(2) pay for the flight to Ayers Rock.