FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How is Virgin America still in business?
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:28 am
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I don't have to agree with it and I'm not, but I understand what you mean.
OK, then suggest something plausible.

I submit there's little plausible reason for anyone to partner with an LCC that has VX's basic network structure. There's simply no value to adding partner connections to ORD from SFO/LAX if you already fly to ORD.

Now, if someday VX had an analogous position at SFO to B6 at JFK (tons of local destinations where you can get some realistic feed from), and UA completely retreated out of serving those places from SFO/DEN the way AA did out of JFK, then I see a plausible case that VX would enhance someone's network. But right now? Not so much. So it's a "build it and they will come" scenario, but not for years (it took a decade of good growth and profits to make AA and B6 partner up).

They're somewhat better out of LAX because they can partner with VA, but only somewhat: for instance, one of the most popular places Australians like to go out of LAX is LAS. Whoops, VX doesn't serve that route... which is why VA is partnering with DL as well, who does.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The flight I took to MCO on a Saturday was almost entirely leisure travelers going to Disney World who mostly didn't seem to care about an F upgrade.
Sounds about right.