FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can I book award ticket for someone else?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:57 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by glocklt4
United NOOB here, but just to recap since I saw conflicting info between here and some other posts, but this thread seems newer...

Wife and I are planning to go to Palau and we've setup an account for my grandmother and also earned her some Ultimate Reward points under a card in her name to transfer to her united account too. There should not be an issue booking my ticket for this trip using her united account, correct? There will be other airlines besides United themselves involved I have a feeling (or at least airlines "operated" by United). Some other threads mentioned having to get a waiver at AIRPORT (???) if you book for someone else and flights are not all United. Crazy....

Thanks.
Shouldn't be a problem, especially since the relationship makes it less likely that you are engaging in prohibited selling/buying/bartering of miles.

However, IIRC you can't use miles from different accounts to book award tickets on the same PNR, although phone agents might be able to do this. (Service charge might apply for phone bookings of award tickets.) A phone agent should be able to "link" two PNRs for free, but this doesn't do much.