FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:13 pm
Antipode

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Cohall
"In addition to one carry-on item, you may bring one personal item such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or an item of similar size"

All of those items and items of similar size would easily fit under the seat in front of you. So if your bag didn't, then you were indeed not following the rules, and she had every right to check your bag.

"Any item in excess of carry-on baggage size or allowance requirements as listed above will be checked to your final destination and may be subject to applicable checked baggage fees"

Putting your second personal item under the seat in front of you is also common courtesy, so that as many people as possible can get there carry-ons stowed before the bins get full.

She didn't have to be rude, that's for sure. But I can't really say I blame her.
I agree completely with this. If the personal item doesn't fit under your seat, then it isn't a personal item. It's also common courtesy to only put 1 bag up because there usually isn't even enough space for everyone to put up 1 roll-aboard, much less a roll-aboard + a second bag, especially if that second bag is large.

The FA should remain professional, but I'd probably get fed up too dealing with the overhead space problem in Y on a daily basis.