FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wow... FA's treat people like idiots in Y
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:53 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by avi8tir
That all being said, I have flown coach a few times this year. Yesterday, my fiance and I took an earlier flight than planned LGA-IAH due to the incoming storm. We were booked on an A fare on our original flight but only Y was available on the earlier flight so we had no problem sitting in Y in order to get home (and not get stuck) in NYC. She and I both were AMAZED at how the flight attendants were talking to and treating passengers during the boarding process. I boarded with 2 bags (a rolling suitcase and a small duffle). I was in group 1 and was sure to be the first coach passenger on the plane in order to secure overhead space. I put my roller bag up and then proceeded to put my duffle up but was told I was only allowed to put one bag up. she told me to put it under my seat and I told her it wouldnt fit. she then informed me that I would have to check the bag. I started to object saying that wasnt a policy.... then I shuffled for a minute and let people by and when she left I put it in a different spot in the overhead and it went unnoticed. Same FA continued to HOUND people and was quite rude and spoke to everyone like they were morons. My point was there was a reason I was in group 1 and overhead space is 1st come 1st serve and I had the legal amount of bags.
Well, while you're probably technically right, it is a courtesy to only put one (1) bag in the bin.

During drink service she leaned over and asked me if I fly a lot... she had the manifest in her hand so I assume she knew my status.
I do not believe they get a Coach manifest now that they're on CO's systems, so there is no way to recognize coach flyers. She may have remembered you from the pre-boarding.

I ordered 2 drinks for my fiance and I and she said it was on the house. gee.... I wonder why she'd do that?
That was a nice gesture. Maybe she was

anyways it was quite a contrast to the (normally) acceptable service in F. This whole scenario seems to happen every time I end up flying Y.
Eh, first service isn't that great all the time either. I had an on-time flight the other day with no pre-depart when we had ample time (on-time boarding and departure). Sometimes they sit in the galley and do the minimum. Sometimes they're very attentive and friendly. There can be a huge variance in both cabins.