FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel while undergoing chemo treatment
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:03 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by Audie
Please move this if it is not the correct forum.

I am going to do a trip to Asia at the half way point of my chemo therapy treatment. My doctor has given the okay and while not ideal it is a reward for me to see my only grandchild age two for the Christmas holiday. Does anyone have any experience and any tips/things that were helpful?
Been there, done that, not fun.

My suggestions would be:

1. talk to your doctor about possible side effects and complications of your treatment and what medications might be necessary/helpful to treat the problems. get prescriptions for every possible thing that the doctor can think of that you might need, including written instructions on how/when/why you should use them

2. are you getting cell booster injections? Neupogen, anything like that? If so, look at your treatment calendar now and work with the treatment center to time those injections to get your immune system as close to peak functioning as possible before the trip

3. contact the airlines' disability desk and ask for wheelchair/cart transfers in airports and whatever seating might best suit your medical issues. I developed tremendous sensitivity in my spine and hips while on chemo and had to have a seat where the armrest could be raised to make sure there was nothing touching my hips from the side. get the wheelchair to conserve your energy because chemo is one of the most exhausting processes in the world - learn to expend as little energy as possible over the next few months.

4. at the TSA check point: put all your medications in Ziplocks - I had 1 full gallon ziplock and a second partial one. Insist on a supervisor and ask that the medications be hand checked in your presence. I learned that after one rank and file TSA staffer tried to tell me that nobody was allowed to have that many pills and that I shouldn't have certain drugs in my possession (pain pills, of course) and he threatened to confiscate them.

5. carry lots of snacks with high nutritional value and nibble throughout the trip. drink as much water as your doctor suggests, but make sure of the source of it.

6. don't be shy about asking for help! and be persistent if a reasonable request is denied. I needed water to take timed pills on one flight and the FA initially refused to give me some as it wasn't time for the beverage service but when I explained I needed to take pills for my cancer I got it immediately.

PM me if you have specific questions that I might be able to help with.