FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:10 pm
weezl

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by Andaz5
I have little sympathy for anyone stuck at the airport tonight or tomorrow you have had more than 48 hours to change your plans.
This is somewhat rude. Some pax may not have the $150 (plus maybe some refare issues) to spare if their flight does not show as canceled. And still others did not want to get to NY only to be trapped there an extra day with a city in turmoil, without a way to get back home on time.

I personally was delighted that UA was early in their cancellation process because it gave me a chance to rebook or outright cancel and get a full refund.

And obviously some not too ignorant planners at UA saw the reality of Frankenstom closing airspace by Sunday night as inevitable, i.e. why wait until the last minute. Maybe they will be wrong in the end but hard to believe that they were not well educated, uninformed, and didn't weigh all of the evidence in this situation.

Oh wait, they've made one or 2 mistakes in the past, haven't they?

My points are:
1. UA made a tough decision to cancel early, others chose to do otherwise. It is not clear at this time that early cancellation was wrong nor is it clear that waiting a bit was wrong. Either way, my 2nd point is:
2. I do feel sorry for some who are SOL now

FYI, data point for comparison: last night I tried to get a refund but after 45 min on hold I gave up. I may have not been given the UA 1K line, who knows?

This AM, despite an initial warning message about high call volume, I got an agent without any hold.

Last edited by weezl; Oct 28, 2012 at 4:22 pm