FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel (was Sheraton) Bulgaria [Master Thread]
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
skrosvik

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have learned to like this hotel actually, I find the Hilton to be very generic and out of the way and the Radisson to be pretty damp. Everybody in Sofia rave about the Grand Hotel, but that is fake luxury IMO, the rooms are superdark.

I agree that the Sheraton does not deserve it's Luxury Collection branding - it is an impressive building, so from the outside it could look like a LC, but it's not. It is a solid Sheraton - and platinum treatment is good IMO. I am not aware of any other LC hotel that have a bar that reminds me of a strip bar, it's called SCANDAL. Supertacky!!! The use of Russian-style security guards in the lobby is not very welcoming either.

I have also noticed that they have started to charge for internet here (not for plats of course). It used to be free for everyone earlier. They also terminated the complimentary shuttle service. Don't use their limoservice, it is total waste of money. Take a regular metered cab instead, have done this a few times now, and never had any problem. Paid 5-6 EUR each way every time, so no problems here.

They seem to change general manager every second month. I have noticed that GM's business cards no longer carry a name, hahaha.

Despite all the shortcomings I kinda like this hotel, it's a great value!! It can be had as low as 62 EUR per night, or 3000 starpoints per night.

I have another stay coming up next week, really looking forward to it.

BTW - did anyone stay in an Executive suite here? How does it compare to the Junior suite?