FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:41 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
In reading some of these I would also suggest that if Chase promoted its card through someone, and told that someone to get everyone to sign up for the card, then they are effectively making that person an "agent" of sorts.

It should be in the best interest of Chase to be sure the person is saying and doing what is right according to chase as long as they are allowing him or her to tout their products and services.

It should be in the best interests of the person to do the right thing and post proper information, but in the end, Chase must 'authorize it' if the person is indeed serving in this role.

And if they are serving in the role of some sort of authorized agent for Chase, then Chase needs to back what has been said. Customers will sign up for the card based on what they read on this effectively 'chase-authorized' blog as posted by this agent.

Customers will believe it, and will have signed up based on what they read (some may not have gotten the chase cards if they knew up front that some things were not really doable). Customers would believe they were duped by some company bait & switch if things go the other way. Of course the blog looks like the party to be blamed, and so Chase, if they were actually knowingly doing this, would be pretty swift for creating such a diversion, but in the end, it would be Chase who had set forth the idea that XYZ could in fact be done with the cards if people read the blog.

If Chase now busts those people who did what their own agent was Ok'd to tell them to do, it would be Chase who should bear the responsibility, or at least most of it. If i am reading all this correctly, that's at least how it seems to me.

They have the resources to control and track this stuff and to reach out to those they consider valid agents as stated here. If they claim they cannot control it, that's a farce. Sure there are many people talking about Chase cards on their blogs, and not all of the information is real or 100% kosher even if it does work for a while. But if this person and their blog were in fact real active 'agents' of chase in this capacity, Chase HAS to deal with it! They ought to want to!

They should start by re clarifying themselves and if T&Cs change, to keep the agent abreast of these things. Then they should honor whatever people who used this blog to get the cards and not reprimand those chase users for THEIR mistakes. Companies do that a lot these days (blame the customer/victim) because it's easier to do and they cant handle their own promotions and services.

Chase may not be at fault for all things here, but it seems to me that if they entitled someone to speak on their behalf, that was their blunder, not anyone Else's.

When I went to court against Cartera my case was much about the same kind of thing.

I bring it up because mine was also an issue where someone was not going to give me points because they thought I had gamed them, and now that their T&Cs had changed, they could use 'today's new rules to back their angst of yesterday.' A commonly used tactic that sometimes has an affect even though everybody sees it! Again, a third party was given license to do promo X and then all or one party dropped the ball claiming the customers gamed it and were therefore wrong.

Originally Posted by mnscout
Wait, you lost the case, but they still gave you the points? What am I missing?
I have no idea how it went on the back end, so I can only guess, but my theory is that Cartera figured they should finally give the miles and maybe they called UA and got them to now honor the promo bonus that comes with the Cartera miles postings. Since this all happened literally less than 24 hrs from the time of my court case, AND i also got other Cartera miles on another airline on the same morning, I think my theory holds some water. I had been pressing UA myself to credit for missing bonuses on my purchases and had written them and sent in all sorts of material previously, but one customer on hold for hours a few days before the court date in one last ditch effort to get some results talking to an overseas low level CSR trying to explain this to someone who has broken English is less likely to get anywhere than a huge shopping mall partner entity and vendor.

It is then possible that since the judge had said a decision would be mailed, Cartera's lawyers could have contacted the court and said something like, "We have made sure MM got his miles" and the court now could end the case NOT in my favor. I have no idea of this, but I can also conclude that Cartera didn't want bad press as it were, and the judge may not have wanted to be someone to set any precedent for how to assign money to a mileage case. I had sued for just shy of $7k in court, the max you can sue for in SCC in MA.

Much of the above is pure speculation on my part--I know that. But I still could not figure out HOW I left court with neither side yet knowing the outcome (or at least not me for 2-3 days) but that suddenly, all my miles were there. Just like that, no holds barred.

I would imagine that if people here successfully fight against Chase with regards to this blog thing or anything related, they may end up with a similar instance. Something like, here are your points. End of story, no explanation, no nothing.